Leisure time. Architecture.
Republicii (Republic) Walkway has had several names: Nagy utca (Strada Mare, Grand Street) in 1727, Fő utca (Strada Principală, Main Street) by 1890, Rakoczi út starting from 1900, Regele Ferdinand (King Ferdinand) Street starting from 1920, and, after 1945, Republicii Street.
Ever since the final decades of the 19th century, it has remained a main arterial road, connecting the main railway station to the center of the city. Development of the area was kickstarted especially after the Main Railway Station started functioning, when several plots of land were made available to those who wished to erect residential buildings, as well as buildings that were both residential and non-residential. At the start of the 20th century, aside from the houses, this artery hosted two hospitals and several buildings that belonged to the state railway company.
The majority of the Secession palaces were built on this artery that undulates from the area of the main railway station all the way to Ferdinand Square: the Rimanóczy Kálmán-Senior Palace, the Stern Palace, the Apollo Palace, and the Moskovits Miksa Palace.
Savor an ice cream, have a taste of our traditional cuisine, drink a cup of coffee or just take a stroll down Republicii Walkway!
This post is also available in: Romanian