A reference point of architecture in the city’s pedestrian area.
A towering Secession edifice.
The history of this building sends us back in the early years of the 20th century, when the chemist and engineer Stern Miklós bought a land from the Local Council, right on the central artery. The acquisition was made in 1904, and Stern paid 82600 crowns for the land. The plans of the large building were designed by architects Komor Marcell and Jakab Dezső, reputed architects who designed the “Black Eagle” Palace. The works were completed in 1909, providing the people from Oradea a model of functional architecture in harmony with the natural environment.
This imposing edifice is one of the most significant architectural landmarks of the pedestrian artery. The palace offers a double architectural spectacle: on one hand, it presents an elegant decoration on both facades, on the other hand it offers an interior space of an unparalleled poetic atmosphere in the architecture of the city of Oradea. Stepping over the threshold of the two monumental gates, the vaults and the arch of the staircase with its elegant furnishings invite you to walk through a circular space suspended somewhere beyond time.
The architecture of the palace highlights the specifics of Hungarian traditional art, found throughout the palacefaçade. The dynamic, syncopated game of the façade’s lines allows for the unfolding of a decoration in the neo- Hungarian style: a decorative belt made of traditional Hungarian motifs emphasizes the frameworks, just as the traditional costume’s embroidery highlights the essential parts of the costume.
This post is also available in: Romanian