The owner of the villa was Dr. Ferenc Várnai, a wealthy lawyer and a member of the “Sfântul Ladislau” (“Saint Ladislaus”) Masonic lodge. The house was built in two stages in the Secession style. The year when the main wing was constructed is inscribed on the façade of the building in a square frame: 1905. This project was developed by Kálmán Rimanóczy, Jr., but the name of the constructor is unknown.
In 1912, the architect Valér Mende, at the request of the owner, drafted another project for a new wing to be built in the yard of the house. This time, the entrepreneur was Vilmos Rendes. The new wing has a ground floor and an upper floor, and is connected to the original building through the wing housing the staircase. Two apartments with three and four rooms were built on the ground floor. There is still a two-room apartment with a bathroom, along with a separate office area on the upper floor.
Art Nouveau architecture
The main building, featuring an eclectic façade (created from construction materials of various textures: visible tiles, plastered surfaces, forged iron, as well as sculpted wood at the level of the eaves), has a ground and upper floor.
A pedestrian gate was installed on the left side of the building with two forged iron leaves. The leaves are decorated with two-dimensional roses featuring elongated stalks, framed and inter-connected through little canes.
Above the gate, in an arched frame, we can find two small windows that are themselves engulfed in floral elements rendered in relief (olive branch).
A semi-circular balcony with a handrail made from forged iron was built on the first floor above the entrance. The balcony extends rectilinearly on the façade of the building featuring ironwork decorated with stylized floral elements. The elongated balcony has an entrance, in the shape of an arch and supported by poles and a brick bulwark, which leads to an elegant roofed loggia, supported by corbels and featuring a direct entrance into a bay window on the right side of the building, which is also supported by line-decorated corbels.
Some of the original stained glass windows have been kept in the villa.